Wednesday, October 12, 2011

October 12th - The Rearing Righteous Head of Sloth


I had grand plans of adventures
On Spain’s special day
But alas, instead, both sloth and sorrow
Done wasted my day away.

I schemed to hike a mountain,
I planned to survey the land,
I desired to use my bird’s eye view
To erase my mind’s miles of sand.

But unfortunately, as do the plans
Of mice and men cascade
To the ground, my day’s plans have gone,
And I know they can’t be saved.

So here I am, feeling bad for me'self
My warm computer in my lap,
Writing this quasi-thoughtful poem
As an excuse to take a nap.

So this is for all those wandering, wan souls
Whose days desire to be free,
From wanton plans, demands and schedules
That bind them eternally.

“Oh no, I should be doing such and such,”
Screams the restless mind,
But for fiestas commemorating massacres,
Well, maybe a little rest is fine.
Actually, now I realize
That I can give my excuse more weight
If I add humanistic themes,
Protesting oppressive states.

So my sad-for-yourself and morose masses
Seize upon your sloth
As a symbolic gesture of solidarity
With those whom empires wrote off.

Instead of worrying about achievements,
Engagements, and prior arrangements,
I’ll dedicate my restful nap,
To those who couldn’t take one
Due to imperialism’s trap.

And so with that, my excuse is made
My reasoning aspersion-proof
So fuck all the reprimanding, demanding plans,
With my nap, I fight for truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment