Sunday, March 25, 2012

El Lechazo / The Suckling Lamb (or Eating Young Animals Continued)

Today, ladies and gentlemen - and the rest of you maladroits - I was invited to a small town in the province of Palencia for a barbacoa. That's Espanish for "barbecue". Actually, our word comes from their word. But really - we know that our word is better.

Unfortunately however, I forgot to bring my camera, but what we ate was something divine and I hope my words are enough to convince you more than any multi-megapixeled image. We ate something out of this world. Actually, we ate something that had only recently BECOME PART of this world, and that particular thing was el lechazo, or a very, very young suckling lamb. Roasted whole. For hours.

It's appropriate that the province of Palencia is well-known throughout Spain for having the world's third-largest Jesus statue (which I think I have commented on in a previous post), because this recently-deceased lamb had a taste of divine proportions. And, gente, I'm happy to report to you that like a true adventurer, I ate the little bastard's brain. Yes, that's right: all the knowledge possessed by this little lamb (which, contrary to popular refrain, never belonged to anyone named Mary) has been assumed into my own body of understanding. That is, of course, how things like this work.

Have any of you ever eaten brains?

1 comment: